Friday, December 3, 2010

Hinajen Elementary Belated Back to School Project

Hinajen kids with their new jerseys
Early in service I visited a small primary school about 5 kilometers from Sefrou.  The teachers and I had a little pow-wow, and they spoke to me about some of the challenges they faced in teaching the kids.  They mentioned one problem that is all too common in many rural schools: the lack of plumbing or restroom facilities.  For many boys, it's no big deal to irrigate the nearest tree, but for girls it's a whole 'nother issue.  The really young ones don't mind squatting out in the bush, but once they reach 4-5th grade, they as well as their parents feel that doing so is no longer appropriate.  They also said that they lacked school supplies and sports equipment.  I wrote down their information and said I would look into funding opportunities for building restroom facilities or basic latrines, but also told them that the community would need to contribute at least 20-30 percent of the grant amount.  I also told them that they would need to identify an association that I could send the funds to.  After that visit, I heard very little from the teachers.

I still remembered the kids and I relayed some of the information to my friends and family.  I told them to wait until the teachers identified an association, but unfortunately they never did.  The teachers were in agreement in terms of what they wanted, but not in how they wanted to carry out the projects.  I still remembered the kids and I still wanted to do something for them even if it was just helping out with school supplies.

Over the next year or so, I kept an eye for things that the school could use.  Luckily, Peace Corps Morocco got a donation of sport jerseys from the U.S. that our Youth Development(YD) Volunteers began to distribute at various language and summer camps.  I emailed the YD Program Manager about my little Hinajen Elementary School project, gave him the approximate number of students, and shortly thereafter, he sent a box full of jerseys.  Then, as my sitemate was in the process of getting rid of all his worldly possessions before returning to the U.S., he offered to give me an unused soccer ball and a basketball that was in pretty decent shape.  A few months later, Peace Corps sent out a notice to volunteers that they had received a donation of reams of printer grade color paper.  I petitioned for a few boxes and during one of my program manager visits, they dropped off about 10 reams and several rolls of butcher paper.  Then finally, last summer a group of young kids from a gap-year program called Where There Be Dragons led by couple of Morocco RPCVs stopped by Sefrou to take part of a number of cultural exchange activities.  Towards the end of their visit, they learned about the Islamic tradition of zakat or almsgiving.  They decided to take a portion of their travel funds and to donate it to a worthy cause.  The volunteers contacted me about their donation and I told them that I would be able to find something to put their money to good use.  In total, the group collected about 1,200DH or roughly $160.  It was a nice chunk of change.

I spoke to one of the teachers about the donation and he immediately drew up a list of items.  We then set up a tentative date for some sort of back-to-school event.  We bought a whole bunch of rulers, markers, scissors, notebooks, pencils, pens, etc.  We then applied some of the funds towards a purchase of about 40 school uniforms.  Together with the school supplies, uniforms, and the in-kind donations from Peace Corps and my sitemate, we had a good trunk full of stuff.  I was really excited about the event and told a few volunteers in the region about it.  I was hoping to have games and a big couscous lunch for the kids.

I left it up to my school contact to arrange the transportation and was hoping that the school district would pitch in for at least that.  A number of weeks went by and I heard very little.  Then, later on, I learned that the school director said that he would need to be present at the event because they feared that I and the volunteers were perhaps going to give out some Bibles and other Christian paraphernalia along with the gifts. When I visited the school last year, there was no mention of this, but this time the schools were on alert given a recent event that received wide media attention that exposed a group of Americans who were running an orphanage in Ain Leuh and were allegedly proselytizing the kids, which is strictly prohibited under Moroccan law.  I chuckled when I heard this.

So I had to call off the event and instead scheduled a drop-off for late October.  I hired a small pickup truck.  My school contact followed me and the driver behind in his sputtering lawn-mower-propeller moped, and when we arrived at the school, we immediately began unloading all the goodies.  I made a pit stop at a small shop and bought some sweets for the kids.  We took a few shots with the school supplies and then I left.  Later on, the teacher used his digital camera to take shots of the kids with the jerseys playing a little soccer.

It was disappointing that I couldn't put on the back-to-school event; even so, I was happy that the kids got a bunch of stuff that will hopefully make their school year a little bit more enjoyable and make their recess a lot more fun.

Rural areas of Morocco are still very much in need of assistance.  If you're interested in donating, I encourage you to browse through a list of community-based projects posted on the Peace Corps Partnership Program page or look into projects being funded through the High Atlas Foundation.  Once again, thank you for reading and thank you for donating.

No comments: